Dear PS 130 Parents and Guardians,
A warm welcome to the 2018-19 school year at PS 130, the Parkside School! Whether it’s your child’s first or final year, we’re so glad you’re part of our community and we’re excited to work together.
YOU ARE THE PTA! As parents/guardians, we are all automatically members of the PS 130 Parent Teacher Association. Our PTA is a dynamic group of volunteers dedicated to supporting our children’s intellectual, social, and emotional growth.
THE PTA SUPPORTS CRITICAL PROGRAMS THAT BENEFIT ALL STUDENTS. This year, our PTA will spend more than $195,000, which is over $230 per child, on programming that will enhance teaching and learning:
This year your donation will also support many exciting new initiatives, including:
- Materials for a rigorous, new Science Curriculum that engages students in hands-on, problem solving.
- A “FabLab” MakerSpace where students will use math, science and engineering to design, experiment, build, and invent solutions to STEM challenges.
- Hands-on science activities for 2nd and 3rd grade students during two visits from the BioBus mobile science lab, which includes state-of-the-art microscopes!
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT! In order to sustain these programs, our families donate their time, creativity, expertise, skills, ideas, and energy. From helping set up chairs to preparing food to updating our website, ALL of these donations are essential–thank you!
Your direct giving is also crucial. Each fall, we ask for contributions to the Annual Appeal, which is the PTA’s single largest source of funding. This year we ask your family to donate $230 per child who attends PS 130 – the equivalent of $23 per month per child for the school year.
Diversity is a great strength of this community and as such we appreciate that not all families can make the same contribution. Please know that ANY amount that your family can contribute is vital. If your family is in a position to donate more than $230 per child, please consider do so. By doubling or tripling your donation, you can do even more to support the educational needs of our all children at PS 130.
PLEASE GIVE TODAY! Donations are tax-deductible and can be made via PayPal at www.ps130pta.org, or via cash/check payable to “PS 130 PTA.” Return the attached envelope by putting it in the PTA mailbox located in the main office or your child’s homework folder. You can also spread out your donations over the year by making a monthly recurring payment using the secure PayPal system on our website.
Ashley Kreamer Colao and Lisa Jackson Zelznick, Co-Presidents | P.S. 130 PTA
* Don’t forget to check with your employer to see if they will match your contribution.
Art & Music
- Bringing Artists into Classrooms
- Performances & Workshops
- Art Box Supplies
- Instrument Repair & Maintenance
- Digital Arts Center
Science & Math
- NEW Science Curriculum!
- Bio-Bus Visits
- NEW “FabLab” MakerSpace
- Chess in the Schools
Recreation & Wellness
- 4 Coaches to lead recess activities
- Play & Safety Equipment
- Lice Prevention
Reading & Writing
- One-on-One Reading Support
- Library Books & Assistant Librarian Salaries
- Bringing Authors into Classrooms
- Writing Program with 826NYC
- Classroom Supplies and Resources
- Discretionary Funds for Teachers, Aides, Staff, and Administrators
- Professional Development & Training
- Orton-Gillingham Teacher Training
- Events & Festivals
- 5th Grade Graduation & Celebrations
- Garden & Building Maintenance
- Communications (School Messenger, Translation, and Postage)
USE THESE BUTTONS BEFORE YOU SHOP TO EARN EXTRA MONEY FOR OUR SCHOOL!
Instead of typing in “amazon.com” click this Amazon button to get to the site. You’ll find the exact same Amazon site, except that a percentage of your purchase will be donated to our PTA. (The site will look the same, without an indication that you are in the PS130 portal. But as long as you use the link that you get when you through the button, we will get a percentage.)
Bookmark the link so you’ll remember to use it every time you shop. You can also pass on this info to grandparents and other family and friends who might like to contribute.
Shutterfly and Tinyprints
Shutterfly and Tinyprints will donate 13% of proceeds when you shop though our school’s storefront!
Go to our Storefront: http://ps130.shutterflystorefront.com/
Click through to Shutterfly.com or Tinyprints and start shopping
Make a purchase
You can still use any promo’s that are being advertised on the Shutterfly site.
BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION
Help earn money for our school through the Box Tops for Education program!
- Look for the Box Tops logo on dozens of products. Here’s a complete list.
- Clip the logos before you toss your empty packages, then collect them in a ziplock bag or envelope. (Be sure to take out any expired ones.)
- Place them in the Box Top folders in either main office.
FAIRWAY COMMUNITY PARTNERS
Fairway Community Partners cards went home in backpacks. Use yours every time you shop at Fairway, and they will donate a portion of your purchases to our school. Plus keep an eye out on Facebook and in our weekly newsletter for info on quarterly “Double Days,” when the donation is doubled. If you don’t have a card, pick one up at either main office.
TEA SCHOOL DAYS
SHOP, SAVE, AND RAISE MONEY FOR OUR SCHOOL!
Tea Collection is a company that sells adorable kids’ clothes. With this program, our school gets 15% of all sales — and you get 15% off, too! We’ll announce dates when this promo is available.
FOLEY FIRS CHRISTMAS TREES
Last year our school raised $200 with a Christmas Tree fundraiser organized by Foley Firs. Check out the selection at Foley Firs on 8th Street and 8th Avenue, and if you buy a tree and mention PS 130 they will donate to our school! They have three varieties of super-fresh trees with free delivery and setup.